Braving the streets of London must be one of the boldest things that I did so far. Exploring this foreign city alone with only a copy of the tube map in my pocket and uncertainties ahead, what could possibly go wrong?:D But you know what? My sky-high excitement shoved my fears away. I cannot waste this chance.
Sharing you some of the photos that I took last year (2014). Please enjoy!
Berry’s Travel Tips:
1. Keep a copy of the city’s map handy so you can always check if you are on the right track. You can check online, print a copy and bring it with you. If you are taking their underground transportation, you can get a copy from the tube stations.
2. Shortlist the places that you want to visit and do your research. Remember, proximity is the key. If you can visit several iconic places in one visit, then that’s great! Just make sure you are physically ready 🙂 Walk and enjoy, but also be alert. Also, your list should include the places where you may want to eat and the food that you are interested to try.
3. Courtesy will always be appreciated. Before taking photos especially the food stalls, ask permission first. Though the majority of them allow the tourists to do so, there are still some who don’t.
4. If you are lost or trying to find a store or place, just approach the marshals/information officers at the tube stations, they are friendly and gives you the exact and fastest route.
5. Escalator rule: Stand on the RIGHT, walk on the LEFT
6. Shopping hours:
Establishments’ operating hours may vary, but they generally close earlier on weekends (Sat-Sun).
7. Lastly, and I think it’s one of the most important things; Check the security situation. What I mean is, be knowledgeable if there are lots of pickpockets and the likes. You don’t have to scare yourself, all you have to do is be street smart and always be alert.
Also, try to blend in as much as possible. Avoid the screaming touristy look. I really think it helps 😀
Once the travel bug bites, there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life..
– Michael Palin