With so many liquid matte lipsticks found in the market today, I am sure that you already heard of the brand Jeffree Star Cosmetics. Today, I am sharing my review of Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipsticks in Redrum and Anna Nicole.
The lipsticks are made in the USA and they are not locally available at the moment. My ever-reliable source of imported beauty products here in Singapore (PingBong) helped me get hold of these beauties. So after reading this and you are thinking of getting yours, just click the link provided and it will send you directly to her Carousell site.
Each lipstick comes in a pink box with rose-gold stars printed in front (as seen in the photo). The name of the shade is printed on a sticker and pasted at the top cover of the box. Same as Lime Crime Velvetines, these Velour Liquid Lipsticks are also in bottle form with doe foot applicators/lipstick wands.
SWATCHES & COMPARISONS
*please note that due to the difference in undertones, the shades may look brighter or darker to different people.
For your reference, I am NC25 in MAC Pro Longwear Foundation.
Described as orangey-red, this reminds me of MAC Lady Danger from my previous post. Though both lipsticks have a matte finish, Anna Nicole is ultra matte compared to Lady Danger, therefore, gives off a stronger orange color.
JS Anna Nicole VS MAC Lady Danger
Anna Nicole may be more matte but it did not look flat at all. In fact, it is more fabulous when worn as compared to MAC’s Lady Danger.
Described as a cool toned red which makes it the “perfect red” and it looks flattering on any skin color.
No Lip Liner used on this photo.
JS Redrum VS LC Red Velvet
A lot of people claimed that this is a perfect dupe for Lime Crime’s Red Velvet and so I swatched it on my arm to verify and yes, they looked the same. HOWEVER, they looked different once worn on the lips.
These are my photos when I wore both lipsticks (on different occasions) and Lime Crime Red Velvet looked darker on my lips while I achieved that vibrant and “perfect red” color with JS Redrum.
Now, I know that a lot of you are wondering how the JS Velour Liquid Lipsticks when compared to LC Velvetines and so here is my take on comparing these two brands.
JS Velour Liquid Lipstick VS LC Velvetine
This is a representation on how these two brands performed based on my experience and testing (2 stars = Best). Explanations will be provided for each item below.
- Both lipsticks are pigmented.
2. Opaque (with 1 coat)
- Both products are opaque, but I noticed that with Jeffree Star, you have to make at least 2 swipes especially if you will be wearing a lipliner. I used MAC’s High Energy Lip liner and after 1 coat of Anna Nicole the lip liner was still visible.
- Unlike the LC Velvetines that even if I use lip liners before applying the liquid lipstick, the lip liner is very much covered after 1 swipe.
- HOWEVER, after applying more than 1 coat of Jeffree Star lipstick, the color becomes more vibrant unlike the Velvetines that becomes darker.
3. Amount of Product
- We get more lipstick from Jeffree Star (0.19 fl oz) than from Lime Crime (.088 fl oz).
- With Jeffree Star, you pay less and get more (18 USD) while for Lime Crime, you get less and you pay more (20 USD) 😀
5. Ease of Use
Personally, JS won this round because of several things: a. Doe foot applicator or also known as the wand. JS has a longer applicator and wider end which makes it easier to use and glide on the lips when applying the product. Lime Crime’s not bad but Jeffree Star’s definitely better.
Both brands have great packaging designs, HOWEVER, this round goes to JS because of the “lock feature” that they have. Closing and having that “click” sound/feel when you close the cap gives you a sense of security.
Feel on the lips
Velour Liquid Lipstick feels comfortable and lighter on the lips compared to LC Velvetines and other brands. Even if you retouch or layer it up, it won’t feel thick or heavy. IN ADDITION, despite the layering, the color is consistent. As for the velvetine, the more you layer your lips, the heavier it feels and the color becomes darker.
6 & 7. Staying Power/Long Lasting/Kiss-Proof Test
Again, all matte lipsticks may have that drying effect on our lips, especially when worn for long hours. For the testing, applied a thin layer of BURT’S BEES lip balm before applying the lipstick and it did not have any effect on the color.
I tested both JS liquid lipstick on separate days. I wore them for more than 8 hours and made sure to wear it while having dinner.
Lipstick Test for Anna Nicole:
– Wore it for 8 hours and had pan-seared salmon and vegetables for dinner.
- Kiss-proof? YES.
- Minimal but noticeable transfer on my glass of water.
- After dinner, a retouch is obviously needed (especially the center part of my lower lip). The good thing? – Even if you reapply, the lips will not have a patchy/flaky look nor it will feel heavy so that is definitely a good thing.
Anna Nicole on my lips after 4 hours
Lipstick Test for Redrum:
– Wore it for 10 hours and had grilled chicken for dinner.
- Kiss-proof? YES.
- Again, minimal but noticeable transfer on my glass of water.
- I noticed that after having dinner, Redrum left a good amount of lip stain compared to Anna Nicole. A retouch may not be necessary based on my experience. But I decided to do some retouch and like the first shade that I tried, my lips were not patchy/flaky and it didn’t feel thick on the lips.
Redrum after 4 hours
Comparing the performance of these 2 Velour Liquid Lipsticks, I say that Redrum performed better than Anna Nicole. As for my test on Velvetine – the lipstick did not move even after having dinner and drinking straight from a water tumbler. There was no lipstick transfer. For this round, Lime Crime won.
Both products are cruelty-free and vegan. But, JS Cosmetics are Paraben & Gluten-Free, so plus points for that.
Given the facts and experiences with these 2 brands, I personally prefer Jeffree Star Velour Lipsticks. Although the Lime Crime Velvetines have better staying power, I feel that I get more value for my money with JS.
- The brand is not available locally, BUT they do offer international shipping (via USPS) at 10.95 USD. If you do not want to buy directly from the company, you can check CAROUSELL for local sellers and these beauties are sold at 35 SGD each.
- And because the products are so good, they can easily go out of stock (in a span of 1 or 2 hours after restocking) so if you want the shade, just click and buy them or you will be sorry. 😀 Also, there is a limit of 2 pieces per shade for every customer. I think it is a reasonable policy so everyone has a fair chance of getting all the other shades that they wish to have.
Stay updated and make sure that you follow their official Instagram account: @jeffreestarcosmetics or sign up for their email subscription via www.jeffreestarcosmetics.com.
This was quite a long review but I did my best to provide the most comprehensive details. I hope you had an interesting read and had fun, because I did. Questions? Suggestions? Comments? Just leave it at the comments section! I would love to hear from you! Until our next review. 😀
If you want to check out my Lime Crime Velvetines review, just click the image below.