“Be Glamorous Everyday!”
– Bésame Cosmetics
If you want to achieve that classic, vintage glamour, then you should not miss the chance to know more about Bésame Cosmetics.
I was looking for the perfect red lipstick when I found out about the brand and with quite a number of recommendations from beauty bloggers online, I decided to check it out.
Bésame Cosmetics was founded in 2004 and the woman behind this brand, Gabriela Hernandez, brought us the classic makeup colors from 1920s-1950s.
The Bésame Cosmetics Collection incorporates the power of classic ideas of femininity into an outstanding group of products designed to provide the woman of today with responsible elegance and glamour. Natural, classic and reliable formulas that have proven to be timeless and effective.
(Image courtesy of besamecosmetics.com)
Bésame lipsticks are packaged in a red box designed with brand’s signature chrysanthemum flowers and gold imprints. The size is also smaller than the usual lipstick box.
Bésame lipsticks are inspired by the 1940’s lipstick bullet. With its small size (3.5 g), it perfectly fits in the pocket of your purse. The gold-plated casing gives a sophisticated and luxurious feel when you hold it.
This is a photo of Bésame lipstick when compared to the sizes of other brands.
(L-R) YSL Rouge Volupte, Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Tom Ford, MAC & Bésame
*please note that due to the difference in undertones, the shades may look brighter or darker to different people.
For your reference, I am NC25 in MAC Pro Longwear Foundation.
1930 Noir Red
Described as a deep plum with a semi-matte finish. Noir Red is originally part of the 1920s Deco Collection, together with Black Licorice Lip Glaze. The collection was Gatsby-inspired and celebrated the flapper style glamour.
Below is a side by side comparison of Bésame Noir Red with Colourpop Matte Lippie Stix in Blood and LBB.
With just one swipe on the lips, the lipstick showed a luscious black-red color and despite the semi-matte finish, my lips did not feel dry not became flaky after.
1946 Red Velvet
1946 Red Velvet became famous when Hayley Atwell wore it when she played the role as Agent Peggy Carter in the Marvel TV series, Agent Carter. The fans got so excited when Atwell shared and tweeted the brand and it became one of Bésame’s greatest hits.
Described as deep red with a semi-matte finish, this shade can be your “everyday red.” As promised by Bésame, it gives off a rich color with just one swipe.
I have a number of red lipsticks, but I do not have this particular shade yet. I love how the deep red color complemented my skin tone (I am NC25 in MAC Pro Longwear Foundation).
- These lipsticks are highly pigmented and very opaque. It gives off a very rich color with just one swipe.
- Ease of Application
- I love how they designed their lipsticks (square end) because it makes the application easier and even without the help of a lip liner.
- The lipstick felt easy and light on the lips.
- Long wearing
- I tested the lipsticks on separate days. I wore Noir Red for almost 8 hours and Red Velvet for almost 6 hours. After eating and drinking, the color faded a little BUT! all I had to do was press my lips together (once or twice is enough).
- After meals, the lipstick was still intact and I did not experience any bleeding/feathering.
This is how Noir Red looked on my lips after I had dinner.
- It has a vanilla scent same with MAC lipsticks and Colourpop Lippie Stix.
- My lips did not flake out even after wearing it for hours.
- This is the first time that I have tried a lipstick that moisturizes the lips and I loved it. This is by far, the BEST lipstick formula that I have ever tried.
- Made in the USA.
- Bésame is not available in Singapore. I got my lipsticks from my reliable source of imported beauty products here. (PingBong).
- If you do not want to buy from a local seller here (Carousell), you have 2 other options:
- order directly from their website and pay for the (not-so-inexpensive) international shipping fee (average rate of 44 USD for Singapore) OR
- order thru Sephora.com. Though this option only works if you have friends/relatives in the US who can help you with your orders. See the complete details of Sephora’s International Shipments here.
***Take note that only 6 shades are available in Sephora website. How I wish that shades like Carmine and other pink shades can also be available. 😀
- Bésame lipsticks are priced at 22 USD (40 SGD). The price may be a little bit high for a lipstick but given the formula and performance of the product, it is definitely worth the amount that you will pay for.
My rating for these lipsticks:
There goes my review for this wonderful brand and thanks for reading! Did I convince you to try it out yet? ;D
Makeup products used in the photos:
- Foundation: MAC Pro Longwear Foundation (NC25)
- Noir Red Photos – Urban Decay’s Naked 3 Palette
- Red Velvet Photos – NYX Butt naked Eyes Palette
- Brows – Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade in Taupe and Brow wiz in Medium Brown
- Eyeliner – Stila Cosmetics smudge stick waterproof eyeliner in Stingray
- Blush/Bronzer/Illuminator – NYX Butt naked Eyes Palette\