“LIPS are the most expressive feature on a
– CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN
When the news came out that Christian Louboutin released his own lipstick line, all makeup enthusiasts were excited and raving about it in different social media channels. With so much curiosity, I want to personally find out what the hype is all about. This is sort of “I bought and tested these, so you don’t have to“ type of situation 😀 And that is why I am here today to share my thoughts and impressions about this “it” lip product.
Christian Louboutin is one of the famous luxury brands today and so there is a high expectation for that overall WOW factor. Each lipstick is housed in a shiny, black flip top box with the Christian Louboutin’s gold logo embossed in front.
At the bottom of the box, you will find the name of the shade and the lipstick finish.
Inside the box is the lipstick that is placed neatly in a red plastic holder with a velvet-like finish.
Why don’t we take our time to look and appreciate the details.
Inspired by Middle Eastern antiquities and the Art Deco movement, the solid metal body is reminiscent of a precious vial. The turret-like crown cap is topped with a small ring threaded with a silk ribbon, turning the lip colour into a necklace.
One can identify the lipstick finish thru the packaging design.
- SATIN – Smooth and Shiny
- MATTE – Smooth and Matte
- SHEER – scallop-like patterns
This is the heaviest lipstick that I held so far. It is heavier compared with Charlotte Tilbury’s K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick that I reviewed.
Each lipstick comes with a gold silk ribbon that you can use as a necklace and the lipstick as your pendant. But seriously?? Who will do that? To start with, the lipstick is heavy for a pendant and it will be uncomfortable to wear. Maybe possible if you are walking on the runway or shows, but not in real life.
photo from eu.christianlouboutin.com
A small pouch (with drawstrings) that seems to be made from a black silk cloth is also included. I read that some find this to be useless, but not for me. I use this whenever I bring my lipstick with me when I go out and I think that it is pretty useful.
TRES BEA Swatches
*please note that due to the difference in undertones, the shades may look brighter or darker to different people.
For your reference, I am NC25 in MAC Pro Longwear Foundation.
Every Christian Louboutin Sheer Voile Lip Colour promises to give the following:
- A creamy smooth and nourishing sensation on lips.
- Impactful colour accents lips natural radiance.
- Sheer coverage with a luminous shine finish.
- Effective protection against dryness thanks to a complex of natural oils and seed butters.
Tres Bea is a sheer coral lipstick and honestly, the formula surprised me. I am not a fan of this finish and it is the first in my collection. I remember using some sheer lipsticks years ago and I know for sure that I don’t like it. I find it sticky, so much less coverage and easily removed when you drink, eat or if you accidentally press your lips. Given these, I feel like it is a waste of money.
However when I tried this, my opinion changed. With one swipe, it gives off a delicate colour on the lips. This is something that I would wear on weekends or whenever I want something light and easy. It’s also perfect to use if I’m out for a lunch/dinner date because I don’t have to worry about my lipstick while eating.
Christian Louboutin lipsticks are priced at 90 USD each. This is a lavish price for a lip product, but if you are a makeup enthusiast then this is something that you may want to have in your collection.
In Singapore, the price varies as it depends on the current foreign exchange, but in average it is being sold between 140 – 190 SGD.
- As mentioned earlier, with one swipe, it gives off a delicate colour on the lips.
- Ease of Application
- It glides on the lips.
- Comfortable to wear.
- It reminds me of the glosses that we can find in the market today, but this is not sticky.
- I felt that my lips were hydrated and moisturized while wearing and thereafter.
- Mineral Oil-free.
- Mineral Oil-free.DEA-free.
- Made in the USA.
- There are 9 shades to choose from:
- Rouge Louboutin
- Tres Bea
- Rose Du Desert
- Petal Rose
- You You
- Private Number
- It is high-priced for the same amount of lip product that you will get from the regular lipsticks. (0.12 oz/ 3.5 grams)
Weight & Design
It is heavy (overall packaging weight) for a lipstick though I kind of like it. Design-wise it is a piece of art but I’m not very sure if you can just carry it on planes.. Also, the lipsticks cannot stand alone so that makes it a challenge to display them. Mine is kept in its box and placed inside my vanity cabinet.
- Not long-lasting. It transferred to my cup and was removed after having meals.
- It has a light floral scent (a hint of rose) but it fades after a while.
- A slight floral taste which I can relate to the scent, but again it fades after a while of wearing it.
- To date, Christian Louboutin lipsticks are not yet available in Singapore. I ordered mine from my reliable source of imported beauty products here. (PingBong).
If you do not want to buy from a local seller here (Carousell), you may:
- order thru Sephora.com. Though this option only works if you have friends/relatives in the US who can help you with your orders. See the complete details of Sephora’s International Shipments here.
In summary, the Christian Louboutin Sheer Voile lipstick delivered its promises. But because of the price, it is considered to be a luxury makeup item and not everyone may want to splurge as much as 90 USD for a lip product. Also, there may be other brands in the market that can offer the same quality, but for a lesser price.
However, if you are a makeup aficionado, you may want to have one of these for your collection. 😀
If you wish to read the first two review, just click the links below:
Makeup of the day:
- Foundation: MAC Pro Longwear Foundation (NC25)
- Brows – Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade in Taupe and Brow wiz in Medium Brown
- Urban Decay’s Naked 3 Palette
- Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector in Champagne Pop
- Eyeliner –K-Palette Real Lasting Eye Pencil (1-day Tattoo) in Black
- Blush – Nars Orgasm
- Contour – Kat Von D Light & Shade Contour Palette
- Highlight – Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light to Medium Shade