Summer is almost here and of course, we have to be ready with our beauty essentials for the hotter days ahead. But who am I kidding? It’s always sunny where I live so I am just looking for a new everyday foundation 😉
The product comes in a tube and I find it easy to store or display it in my vanity area. However, this is not so great for travelling because it can be easily squeezed inside your luggage or bag while in transit. So if you are travelling and you want to take this, be sure that you place it inside a ziplock bag so you won’t regret anything. That happened to me (TWICE) with my NARS All-Day Luminous foundation and found that 1/3 of my foundation spilt inside the ziplock bag (thank goodness I placed it there!). If you ask me how it happened? I don’t really know.
Also, this cap can get really messy especially when you use it every day. I try my best to keep my makeup as tidy as possible and I make sure that I clean the cap every after use.
The NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint has a medium buildable coverage with a soft-matte finish. Aside from the SPF of 30, the product promises an oil-free and all-day wear. This sounds promising for a skin tint, but with the hot weather and my skin type, I wonder if it will come through and there’s only one way to find out: PUT IT TO A TEST.
With the help of the NARS Beauty Ambassador at Tangs, we determined that my shade will be Finland.
TRIAL 1: (WITHOUT PRIMER)
NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint + NARS Translucent Pressed Powder + Setting Spray
With 2 pumps of foundation and the help of my damp beauyblender, I applied to my face and finished the look with a setting powder and setting spray.
I took the foundation on a test when we went out for dinner and coffee. When I say going out, that means it is a combination of walking and MRT or bus ride. I find that this is the best way to test my makeup because it’s a good combination of the hot and air-conditioned environment.
After 5 hours, this is how my face looked like. As you can see, my T-zone is already shiny but still manageable. The part between my nose and upper lip showed a bit redness but overall, my skin looked fine.
TRIAL 2: (WITH PRIMER)
It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness + NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint + NARS Translucent Pressed Powder + Setting Spray
As I was simultaneously testing products, I tried the foundation with It Cosmetic’s Bye Bye Redness and boy, it makes a good combo! I know that I said the same thing when I paired it with La Prairie Skin Caviar foundation but it’s the just the real deal. By now you can really tell that I love that It Cosmetics product. 😀
If you haven’t read my full review on my It Cosmetics haul, you can check it out here.
I was wearing NARS products in the snapchat video and photo above (full details at the end of this post) and with proper primer, the foundation looks much better and lasts longer. I wore the skin tint in full 7 hours. It is worth mentioning that I wore the foundation while cooking (because a wife has to cook, you know). Towards the last hour, I noticed a little oiliness on my T-zone but it was manageable with a light retouch.
- NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint is priced at 70 SGD and you are getting 1.7 oz (50 ml) worth of product.
- Regular products will be 30 ml.
- Available at the NARS outlets in Singapore.
- If you are near Tangs Plaza, you can look for Mavis (awesome beauty ambassador) or anyone from their store and they will take their time to help you find what you are looking for.
- does not feel heavy and
- does not look heavy either.
- Gives a natural-looking skin.
- Easy and smooth application (you can use a sponge, brush or your fingers)
- not sticky
- Once it settles on the skin, it leaves more of a satin-like finish.
- Does not transfer.
- Medium buildable coverage
- has 12 shades to choose from
- Stays on the face in a reasonable amount of time, given the humidity here.
- with proper primer and retouch, your face can survive the hot weather and it can last the whole day.
- has SPF of 30.
- Did not change its colour or oxidised
- but note that some people experienced it when they tried the foundation.
- Noticeable smell and hint of alcohol ingredient
- You can tell it the moment you apply the product on your face or when you try to feel the texture on your hand but the smell goes away and it did not irritate my skin or whatsoever.
- Given this, it may not be great for people with dry skin.
- Despite having SPF 30, this may not be enough especially if you will be exposed to UV rays.
- You still need to use additional UV protection/separate sunblock underneath.
Same with BB and CC Creams, I was also not a fan of skin tints because they don’t offer much coverage but with NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint, I kinda liked it. I have been using this for almost a moth now and it has been my go-to foundation on regular days.
I have always loved full coverage foundations but since the weather becomes hotter and hotter, I prefer to have a good coverage but won’t feel and look too heavy; something that lets my skin breathe at the same time and so far, this product is giving it to me.
Makeup of the day:
- Foundation: NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint in Finland
- Concealer: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade in Taupe
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow wiz in Medium Brown
- Eyeshadow – Makeup Geek x MannyMUA Palette
- Eyeliner –Stila Stay-All-Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Intense Black
- Hourglass Luminous Flush
- Hourglass Mood Exposure
- Hourglass Iridescent Light
- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light to Medium Shade
- Finishing Powder
- NARS Translucent Crystal Pressed Powder
Glamour is about feeling good in your own skin.
– Zoe Saldana