Genre: Fiction/Contemporary Romance/Chick Lit | Published Date: February 2017 | Date Finished: 29 May 2018
OK, so the truth is that she rents a tiny room with no space for a wardrobe, has a hideous commute to a lowly admin job, and the life she shares on Instagram isn’t really hers.
But one day her dreams are bound to come true, aren’t they?
Until her not-so-perfect life comes crashing down when her mega-successful boss Demeter gives her the sack. All Katie’s hopes are shattered. She has to move home to Somerset, where she helps her dad with his new glamping business.
Then Demeter and her family book in for a holiday, and Katie sees her chance. But should she get revenge on the woman who ruined her dreams – or try to get her job back? Does Demeter – the woman who has everything – actually have such an idyllic life herself? Maybe they have more in common than it seems.
And what’s wrong with not-so-perfect, anyway?
Date Finished: 29 May 2018
This is my very first Sophie Kinsella book & I enjoyed her humour and the way she presented the whole story. Honestly, her book can easily be made into a movie.
T H O U G H T S
- I was laughing my head off with Katie’s commuting experience in London. Reminds me of the MRT experience in Manila – siksikan, punuan, almost magkapalitan na ng mukha sa tren.
- KATIE BRENNER is provinciated. Promdi. Probinsyana. London is her dream & she changed her personality just to fit in. Siya yung kawork mo na kapag nakita mo ang yearbook picture nia, mapapasabi ka ng “di nga?! Ikaw to?!”
- Katie is most of us. Yan ha! Di ko nilahat! Yung bagong alipin ka na nga ng corporate world pero super saya mo pa. Ang gusto mo lang is marecognize & to fit in. On the side, minsan poser sa IG. Lels!
- DEMETER FARLOWE – (pronounced as De-Mee-terrr) siya yung boss mong may perpektong buhay; bukod-tanging pinagpala. Isa sia sa mga taong gising na gising nung nagsabog ng biyaya at luck si Lord habang ikaw, nakanganga at tulo-laway sa himbing ng pagtulog. And so everyone thinks she got everything a person could wish for – Beautiful, rich, smart; perfect family & career; But just like a typical office environment. some people hate her and there’s a reason for that.
- ALEX ASTALIS is this spontaneous type of guy; super fun; never a dull moment; but never commits. Naku! Marami nako nakilalang ganito. Hindi naman siya PAKBOI, pero hindi rin siya prince charming. Ehhhh kasi nga allergic ang mga gaya niya sa relasyon.
- BIDDY is your dream madrasta/stepmom. Not pushy, not overstepping but supports you all the way. Always there for you. Hindi siya ang Odette Khan sa buhay ni Katie. She’s the opposite. I wonder what’s her real name, tho! Babette? Bernadette?
- Kinilig ako sa pagayos ni Alex ng bangs ni ate gurl. Haha! parang gusto ko biglang magpabangs!
LESSON 1: wag assumptionista mga ‘teh! Lalo na kung di ka naman graduate ng Assumption. Hahaha! ✌🏻Never assume because a lot of things can happen. Let’s count some!
- Well, it may cost you your potential relationship (career & love life)
- it can hurt you. PERIOD.
LESSON 2: kung ayaw mong magpakamalang homeless, huwag mamulot ng pagkain sa basurahan lalo kung nasa public place ka. Kahit pa sa’yo naman talaga yun!
A fun read!
Find the book here:
Follow my book accounts!