And because it’s Thursday, let’s do a throwback-related post and that includes my jam back in ’97 to early 2001. 🙂
Before Spotify and iTunes came, we got cassette tapes! These are the stuff of the first-born millennials, baby! We got CASSETTE TAPES with ribbon thingy and if you want to replay the song, you have to push the REWIND button of your music player. But this is also a tricky (& fun part) process because too much rewinding can damage (either) the tape (or the rewind button of your play) so we opt for the ULTIMATE COMBO:
Pen + Cassette
Back then, my sister had her first job and bought her first ever portable karaoke/radio that can play & record. Hulugan pa yata yun eh. She loves singing so she bought her own system and collected minus-one tapes (Sharon Cuneta & Olivia-Newton John) and she would sing along every weekend. Yari ako nito if she’s reading this! haha! Laglagan na!!! Hello, sister! I love you!
Back to my story… noon, big time ka na pag meron kang ganito! There’s no way a regular, public high school student can afford tapes! So umaasa lang tayo sa older siblings or parents to let us use their stuff or they buy us our own (if you’re lucky)
If kids today are using social media, like Snapchats & IG Story, to talk to their crushes, tayo noon idinadaan sa mixtape! Either you use a blank tape and record your songs for him/her or get a USED cassette tape (na ninenok mo pa sa kapatid mo, sure ako dyan! Kasi ginawa ko yun eh hahaha!) and OMG! can you still remember when you would tune in to radio stations and even call the DJ to make a request tapos you record it! Nakakainis pa when the DJ talks! panira ng record! GRRR! Oh, those were the days! Hanggang sa napalitan na yung cassette tapes with CDs and now, everything’s digital na.
MY FIRST TAPEs
It was the summer of ’97 and after saving all the monetary gifts after graduation, I bought the Backstreet Boys & AQUA’s first albums. Yep, that Barbie Girl song got me hooked so bite me! Back then, BSB was the hottest guy group in the world! And Nick Carter (and his kimpoy hairstyle) was like every girl’s ultimate crush!
My fave tracks from their first album were:
- I’ll Never Break Your Heart and
- Quit Playing Games with My Heart
But my list today will include 25 songs from my high school years! 4 years, 25 songs and they defined my teen years, like seriously! Whenever I hear these songs, I have a huge smile and sometimes, I would sing along.
My High School Playlist
- Barbie Girl – Aqua
- Lovefool – The Cardigans
- Bitch – Meredith Brooks
- This Kiss – Faith Hill
- Boy is Mine – Brandy & Monica
- Baby Don’t You Break My Heart Slow – Vonda Shepard
- Maria – Blondie
- One of my favourite workout songs
- If You Had My Love – Jennifer Lopez
- Kiss Me – Sixpence None The Richer
- No Scrubs – TLC
- The Day We Find Love – 911
- Jusko, Donna Mercado! I remember you whenever I hear 911’s songs! She’s my classmate who’s head over heels to 911’s front man. haha! I hope you can read this.
- Heartbreaker – Mariah Carey feat. Jay Z
- This was the year na nauso ang sparkly hair clips, crocheted crop tops just like Mariah’s!
- If I Let You Go – Westlife
- Stay The Same – Joey McIntyre
- Never Ever – All Saints
- Hello, baggy pants and super fit tops! kaloka ang fashion statement!
- Hard To Say I’m Sorry – Azyet
- Dear Titas, you know who you are. We used to sing this in ACAPELLA, may pablending pa tayo nalalaman habang nasa owner jeep tayo ng tatay ko! Tapos sisigaw na si nanay kasi I had to go home kasi 6 pm na lol!
- Too Close – NEXT –
- When you hear this and you’re in a party, you have to dance with the cutie! It’s like the ultimate flirt song! Saktong moves, nothing too much. Cool as a cucumber! haha!
- All I Have – Jennifer Lopez
- I love this to bits that I even did her makeup on the video >> JENNIFER LOPEZ MAKEUP – ALL I HAVE MTV
- Love You Down – INOJ –
- This song became famous lately because of the dance challenge but kids, it’s been a hit since ’99 when INOJ did a cover version.
- You’re Still The One – Shania Twain
- Nung ‘di pa uso ang #WCW (Women Crush Wednesdays) Shania has been my woman crush. She’s got great voice, beautiful face and gorgeous body and her kili-kili! ang puti! Have you seen her From This Moment video??? Check it out and you’ll see! hehe.
- Quit Playing Games with My Heart – Backstreet Boys
- From the Bottom of My Broken Heart – Britney Spears
- I Drive Myself Crazy – N’Sync
- My gosh, this song. Ito yung pina-ulet-ulet-ulet-ulet x 100 ko na song ng N’Sync and This I Promise You. Sukang-suka na sila sa bahay, I swear haha! Whenever I watch the video on MTV, my mom be like “yan na naman!“
- All The Small Things – Blink 182
- Stop – Spice Girls
- Remember when we all want to be an Emma or Gerri but never ever Mel B?! haha!
These are the songs that I know by heart! I can belt them out! Any time, any day! Hah! So what about you? What’s in your high school playlist??
You can find my playlist here: